Those of you who’ve followed me for a long time know that I consider myself a Muslim feminist.
Its funny, when I say that to people they expect me to be like “DOWN WITH ALL MEN!!!! WOMEN ARE SUPERIOR!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA”
But really- thats because feminists have such a bad name. The only media coverage feminists get is coverage of Femen. Now if you know me, you’ll know that I hate Femen with a passion. Femen as an organization by white feminists, for white feminists, founded by a white man. The irony in it is that this guy who founded femen actually said that he wants only “attractive women” to lead the campaign. He wanted to USE women and oversexualize them to be the representatives of a campaign for women’s rights. Ummmmmmm degradement much?
Femen feminists are the ones who want to “liberate” Muslim women, to “free” us of our hijab. Femen feminists are the ones that run onstage during fashion shows and sexually harass the models by forcing their clothes off in order to run around topless. These are the same feminists that ran into an islamic convention disrespecting islamic dresscode and interrupting a lecture to run around topless holding anti-islamic signs.
THIS. IS. NOT. FEMINISM.
If you are a privileged white woman, and you use women of colour or lowerclass women as a stepping stone for your campaign,
YOU. ARE. NOT. A. FEMINIST.
If you find it in you to disrespect the religion, culture, and choices of other women,
YOU. ARE. NOT. A. FEMINIST.
Feminism is a movement that acknowledges the rights of all women.
Feminism wants to eliminate male privilege. We want to see women treated equally, given respect and honesty, given equal pay, having the ability to make choices over our own bodies, and being valued as more than just eyecandy.
Feminism is about rape prevention, and prevention of both physical and verbal harassment (sexual and non). Feminism is about blaming the rapist, rather than justifying the actions of the rapist by blaming the victim.
Islamic feminism is no different- I have quoted the Quran numerous times with verses that promote gender equality and how in the sight of Allah, we are not judged according to our chromosomes. Here are some of my favourites:
- “As for those who lead a righteous life, male or female, while believing, they enter Paradise; without the slightest injustice.” [4:124]
- "Whoever works righteousness whether male or female, while he (or she) is a believer- We will surely cause him (or her) to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward (in the hereafter) according to the best of what they used to do" [16:97]
- “And their Lord responded to them: ‘I never fail to reward any worker among you for any work you do, be you male or female - you are equal to one another.’” [3:195]
The prophet (pbuh) also teaches men that “the best of you are those who are best to their wives”
Islam teaches us that men are not superior to women. Actually, we are taught that paradise is beneath the mothers feet, that your wife completes half your religion, and that the treatment of your daughter is what opens the gates to paradise.
I have the right to be educated
I have the right to work
I have the right to drive
I have the right to own land and property
I have the right to keep my own last name
I have the right to inheritance
I have the right to speak
I have the right to to stand up for myself
I have the right to vote
I have the right to be treated as an equal, not as inferior
My rights are mine from Allah. No one will take that away from me.
My religion is my choice. My feminism is my choice. My hijab is my choice.
Stop relating the actions of sexist men to Islam. Sexist men exist in every religion, race, and culture. Islam was the first religion to give us rights.
inspired by collegiette-in-boston’s ‘College Board line of reasoning’ post
[This post originally appeared as part of my reblog … of teland’s reblog … of this painfully-funny, painfully-true post by collegiette-in-boston. See end-notes for more details.]
In the U.S., yes, pretty much the entire ‘higher education’ system is a scam. It’s (waaay) too late for me — but you, youth of tumblr! You can still opt out!
(Also why are you reading my tumblr, it’s full of things you’re not supposed to be looking at!)
A bachelor’s degree is literally almost completely useless in any other ‘developed’ nation with its own university system; in those systems, U.S. BS / BA / etc. degrees are roughly equivalent to… well, most 4-year colleges here will accept at least part of an associate’s degree as counting towards some of their own undergrad requirements, as if an AS-holder is coming in as a transfer student, so… more like a certificate program. And no, your certification in phlebotomy or medical billing is not going to ‘transfer’ if you then want to study anthropology or international business or pretty much anything else.
Or, if you really want to go into a career which actually requires a degree — and remember that lots of fields that schools offer courses and degree or sub-degree programs in, such as computer game design or criminal justice, do not require any such courses, much less degrees, from applicants for entry-level positions — do it smart.
Game the system instead of letting it game you:
Let me talk to you about books.
Specifically, one book. This book.
This book should be a best seller. This book should be required reading for graduating from high school. Before you get that diploma, you read this book.
This book deals with debunking “Neurosexism,” which is a very fancy term for all of that evolutionary psychology bullshit that people spill about those “brain differences” between boys and girls.
This book debunks such myths as:
- Boys are better at math than girls
- Women make crappy lawyers/business CEOs/etc, as their brains are not cut out for aggression.
- Men make crappy counselors/primary school teachers/primary parents/etc, as their brains are not cut out for empathy.
- MEN ARE BUILT FOR GOING OUT AND HUNTING WHILE WOMEN ARE BUILT FOR STAYING HOME AND BABYMAKING IT’S NOT SEXISM IT’S JUST BIOLOGY
- And many other such myths.
Furthermore, this book covers topics such as:
- Neurosexism and gender perceptions in multiple races (as this is not a singularly white experience, just as the western world isn’t a singularly white experience)
- Sex discrimination in the workplace, and how women are (or, more often, are not) allowed to behave
- How science is used (badly) to support many of these claims
- Experiences of trans people, both through interviews and empirical studies.
AND FINALLY - It is all brilliantly researched, cited, compiled - and it’s easy to read! Cordelia Fine actually manages to be funny while writing this, which I think is important, because it makes all of this information infinitely accessible.
Delusions of Gender has reinforced what Oberlin taught me: The gender binary is stupid and arbitrary, and dangerous. And it is a self-perpetuating bias that needs to be addressed to be overcome.
So adding this to my to-read list.
And it’s currently available on Kindle for $3.34.
(Including this post in my autism tag because Simon Baron Cohen’s theories about the genderedness of empathy — and his writing on autism focuses on how ‘normal’ empathy is impaired in autists, which he explicitly relates to how much more commonly autism is diagnosed in boys than in girls — are discussed.)
(Warnings for language: for some reason, even though this book was published in 2012, Fine uses the terms “female-to-male transsexual” and “male-to-female transsexual” instead of ‘transman’ and ‘transwoman’. At least she didn’t misgender the people in question when it came to pronouns? She also refers to people with CAH [congenital adrenal hyperplasia, an intersex condition] exclusively as female, calling all such individuals “girls” or “women”.)
(That said, I think this book is still valuable, however flawed the author’s choice of language occasionally was, for its dedication to debunking so-called “evolutionary psychology” / “evo psych” and its broader implications for which Fine uses the umbrella term “neurosexism”. A substantial amount of the book is devoted to pointing out the many faults in ‘science’ which supposedly demonstrates that gender roles are rooted in biology.)
Labeling people as “Illegal Immigrants” benefits capitalism and corporations.
As long as America continues to threaten migrants, it will benefit economically. Now, many naysayers and tea partiers will disagree — the rhetoric of “they took our jobs!” etc. The fact is, as long as people are threatened about their paperwork status on being here, they can be mistreated and forced to work shit pay — and companies routinely do this. It is cheaper and more “cost effective” for them to keep a lid on the status of their workers so they don’t have to pay for things like health benefits, an actual fair wage, and compensation for injuries (since majority of the jobs in factories and agriculture are labor-intensive and full of risk).
One of the best reasons to buy organic when it comes to fruit that must be hand-picked (all berries other than cranberries; grapes; cherries, apricots and many other stone fruits; most melon varieties; figs; and the list goes on, but you can usually infer from how delicate the fruit in question is) — besides the fact that those are also some of the most-poisoned produce, between insecticides and herbicides and fungicides, and besides the fact that they lead to significant soil and water pollution when grown “conventionally” — is that it’s common for agribusinesses, and even some smaller farms, to spray assorted poisons on fruit fields while there are migrant workers in the field picking fruit.
Yeah; on top of
- the illegally-long shifts without breaks;
- the inadequate provision of water, for drinking or otherwise;
- the inadequate provision of sanitary facilities, i.e. toilets or port-a-potties (even after multiple e. coli outbreaks led to thousands of dollars’ worth of produce needing to be recalled and destroyed, and thousands of dollars more lost due to consumers’ fears after the outbreaks were contained);
- the complete lack of overtime pay, sick pay, vacations, etc.;
- the complete lack of workers’-compensation coverage for injuries or illnesses due to / during work;
- the complete lack of healthcare coverage;
- the typical lack of a first-aid station on premises, or even a handful of band-aids, despite frequent occurences of heatstroke, heat exhaustion, severe dehydration, heart attack, and other work- and/or working-conditions-related medical emergencies among farm workers;
- and the illegally-low pay;
- migrant workers get poison sprayed directly onto them, typically without any warning, and without any way to wash themselves off until many hours later.
There’s a reason why so many migrant farm workers are undocumented (“illegals”); most people who are citizens, or legal residents with work permits, won’t work under illegally-dangerous, illegally-unpleasant conditions for illegally-low pay!
If you want strawberries badly enough to pay $2 for them, then you probably want them badly enough to pay $3 or $4 for them…
[Trigger Warning: Dead Baby Animals] PETA’s secret slaughter of companion animals
1. A pile of garbage bags, mostly black with a few white or transparent, in what appears to be a commercial Dumpster-type waste receptacle with rusty-crusty metal walls and floor. The context implies the bags are full of the corpses of companion animals, but the bags’ contents are not visually discernible.
2. In a field, on a sunny day, a human wearing a white “clean suit” and some sort of rebreather-type mask is holding a dead puppy by its hind legs at arm’s length over a black garbage bag. Someone out-of-frame except for part of their nitrile-displosable-glove-clad left hand is pointing down at the open garbage bag. (The other human is wearing what appear to be latex disposable gloves, as they are off-white, whereas the out-of-view human’s glove is purple, a color typically used for nitrile gloves so they’re readily distinguishable from latex ones for latex-allergy reasons.) Several vehicles are parked in the background, at least one of which has a blue law-enforcement light (turned off) on its roof.
3. A hard-plastic pet carrier, large enough to hold a medium-sized dog or two adult cats who like one another, is situated on some sort of metal grating. The carrier’s metal-grate door is open, and a tabby-striped kitten, appearing roughly three to five months old, is lying on its side on the floor of the carrier, its tail towards the viewer. The kitten is wearing what appears to be a paper identification collar, similar to hospital wrist-IDs for human patients. From its unnatural position and stiffness, and the peculiar way its fur is mussed, it is clear that the kitten is dead… or possibly “merely” comatose.
End of image descriptions.]
I reblogged this as text because the great big triggery photos show up before the trigger warning, otherwise. Those who want to see the photos, click through here (or click any of the next four links).
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is an organization that publicly claims to represent the best interest of animals — indeed their “ethical treatment.” Yet approximately 2,000 animals pass through PETA’s front door every year and very few make it out alive. The vast majority — 96 percent in 2011 — exit the facility out the back door after they have been killed, when Pet Cremation Services of Tidewater stops by on their regular visits to pick up their remains. Between these visits, the bodies are stored in the giant walk-in freezer PETA installed for this very purpose. It is a freezer that cost $9,370 and, like the company which incinerates the bodies of PETA’s victims, was paid for with the donations of animal lovers who could never have imagined that the money they donated to help animals would be used to end their lives instead. In fact, in the last 11 years, PETA has killed 29,426 dogs, cats, rabbits, and other domestic animals.
Source: The Huffington Post
Another post about why Autism Speaks should STFU
(This started as a brief response to thispurplepoet's question, “How can someone be an advocate for Autism if they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about?" and turned into a long-ish rant, so I decided to make it a separate post.)
Autism Speaks does NOT advocate for people with autism, and it never has. Rather, it advocates on behalf of parents (and/or other family members) who feel their autistic child (or other relative) is a burden to them — and, to a lesser degree, on behalf of “concerned” citizens who feel most or all autistics are a burden to “society” — and whose goals are as follows:
- ideally, a magic “cure” to make autistics become just like neurotypicals/alltistics;
- or at least close enough that we can “pass” for “normal”;
- failing that, some miracle drug or other medical intervention that would allow (or force) those of us on the “low-functioning” end of the spectrum to behave “normally” and/or live independently;
- or at least behave more “normally” and/or live more independently than before “treatment” (and some people are willing to go to very extreme measures in pursuit of these goals, cf. Judge Rotenberg Educational Center);
- finding a cause or causes for autism spectrum disorders, so that the victims (i.e., the families of autists, not autistic people ourselves) have someone to blame and/or sue — though finally, years after every reasonable scientist conceded that all evidence showed neither causation nor possible mechanism for causation (and multiple scientists and executives left AS over its refusal to stop wasting money on it) they seem to have given up on the vaccination-autism hypothesis;
- "educating" the public about what a horrible burden [sic] autistic children are on their families, partly in order to inspire donations;
- and also, in addition to the above: developing a magic injection, or genetic/fetal screening, or some other method that would/could prevent there being any more autistic people in the future.
- (Oh, and helping individual families of people with autism… but they spend less on that annually than on their executive salaries. Really, they’d be better off just not claiming they even do that.)
There are many thousands of people on the autism spectrum who do live mostly- to entirely-independently, and who are “verbal” or otherwise capable of communicating with other humans, and who are perfectly capable of advocating for ourselves.
I should know; I’m one of us.
Not surprisingly, many autists take a dim view of AS’s goal of genocide against us — and if you think that’s hyperbolic language, consider that there’s already a genetic test for at least one condition (so-called fragile X) that frequently occurs along with autism, and strong evidence both that most forms of autism are inherited and that most families into which one person with autism is born already have, or will have in the future, another family member or members with autism.
But many of us take issue with the other goals of Autism Speaks as well. If someone with autism can live semi- or fully-independently, with or without supports, but engages in stimming behaviors and rarely makes eye contact… well, so fucking WHAT?! Other (non-autistic) people have annoying personal habits, too, but it’s almost never seriously suggested that such people be subjected to electroshock torture or food deprivation to “cure” them of wearing too much cologne, or belching with their mouths open, or dressing like they’re auditioning for Jersey Shore.
Our biggest beef, however, is always going to be with the fact that, when actual autistics do speak (or otherwise communicate),
Autism Speaks ignores us.
To them, we are irrelevant. We’re the object, not the subject (grammatically speaking). They’re not advocating on behalf of people who are silent; they advocate on behalf of those who need us to remain silent, and it is no coincidence that they continue to promote the MYTH that autistic = nonverbal, over a quarter-century after Temple Grandin first made headlines.
* A note on language: There is no consensus among people on the autism spectrum about how we wish to be described, or how those who are not on the spectrum should be referred to when contrasting the two groups. No matter what terminology I choose, someone would take issue with it. Cycling through the most commonly known and/or preferred options (as far as I’m aware of them) seemed the best compromise; if I’ve offended any of my fellow autists, I apologize.
** Bonus points for everyone who spots the terrible pun I made with a very serious paragraph.
Happy Autism Awareness Month!
Why the Obesity Epidemic is Like Modern Art
PETA: You’re fat because you eat meat. We can cure fat by making meat-eating illegal.
ENVIRONMENTALISTS: You’re fat because you drive everywhere instead of bike. We can cure fat with higher gas prices.
LOCALVORES: You’re fat because you eat fast food and over-processed junk instead of cook with local ingredients. We can cure fat by taxing fast food and processed food, and by subsidizing local farms.
ACADEMICS: You’re fat because you’re not educated enough. We can cure fat with widespread campaigns teaching people what to eat and how much to exercise.
INTERVENTIONISTS: You’re fat because bad food and gas is too cheap and poor neighborhoods are too unregulated. We can cure fat with tougher zoning laws and price regulation.
PUBLIC TRANSPORT FANS: You’re fat because you drive everywhere. If you used public transport you’d burn those extra calories taking stairs from train levels and walking to your train/bus stop. We can cure fat by expanding public transportation options.
WALKING/BIKING/RUNNING FANS: You’re fat because you sit on a bus, then sit at a desk, then sit at home. We can cure fat by building more bike lanes, walking trails, and parks.
LIBERTARIANS: You’re fat because you lack personal responsibility. We can cure fat by engendering a sense of individual pride in people.
RELIGIOUS FOLKS: You’re fat because you display the sin of greed. We can cure fat by teaching our children the correct values.
POLITICIANS: You’re fat because the previous administration didn’t care about the health of the nation and the costs of healthcare. You can cure fat (and save the economy!) by voting for me.
EMPLOYERS: You’re fat because you have a poor work ethic. We can cure fat by refusing to hire fat people, thus forcing them to lose weight in order to get a job.
And that’s funny and all, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that much of the “cause” of the “obesity epidemic” is that they keep moving the goalposts.
Also, brush up on your middle school math for calculating the volume of a rectangular prism, then ask yourself why the almighty BMI chart expects someone 6 feet (72”) tall with shoulders 20” across to have the same weight profile as someone with shoulders 16” across…
Rich and/or White Americans take an unfairly large share of government benefits.
Black people, who make up 22% of the poor, receive 14% of government benefits. White people, who make up 42% of the poor, receive 69% of government benefits.
Just so we’re all clear on what we just read. Black people make up 22% of the poor but only 14% of the government benefits. Meaning, 8% of poor Black people are not taking government benefits when they need them.
While, white people make up 42% of the poor but receive 69% of the government benefits. Meaning, there are white people who are classified as middle class who are receiving government benefits.
…but welfare queens and stuff.
LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT!
Black people make up 22% of the poor BUT only 14% of the government benefits.
White people make up 42% of the poor BUT receive 69% of the government benefits.
This needs to go viral.
This is essential piece of information revealing racial bias AGAINST Black people in receiving government benefits.
Never again do I want to hear about White people living in poverty.
Never again do I want to hear about Black people living on government benefits.
Reblog this. Over and over again. POST IT ON EVERY SOCIAL MEDIA SITE WHERE YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT.
I DON’T WANNA HEAR ANOTHER FUCKIN WORD ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE AND WELFARE
NOT ANOTHER FUCKIN WORD
Among the interesting facts that turned up: almost 10% of “entitlement program” benefits went to people in the top 20% of households by income. There’s some wasteful spending that could be cut, instead of always going for stuff like “let’s make sure poor kids don’t freeze to death over the winter — if we can keep the program funded” or “every kid needs to eat breakfast and lunch if they’re going to be able to learn in school — and they will unless the program’s funding gets cut.”
I was disappointed that there didn’t appear to be any breakdown of benefits received vs. benefits eligible for, as far as Native Americans and Latin@s (although the latter category can and does overlap with both Black and White, depending on who’s asking and how the questions are framed; in this particular study, wherever it says “White” it does specifically mean non-Hispanic White) or any other ethnic group other than Black and White Americans.
Other facts of note from the study:
- Over 90% of benefits paid went to Americans who are either retired and thus (typically) no longer working, Americans who are substantially disabled and unable to work, or to Americans in working households.
- In other words, less than 10% of benefits went to people who weren’t working but could have been working.
- The distribution of what Alan Greenspan calls “tax entitlements” is even more problematically skewed: The Americans in the top 20% income bracket are not only taking 10% of the ‘traditional’ entitlement benefits (you don’t have to need Social Security or unemployment to be eligible for them, after all); they’re also the beneficiaries of 66% of tax-expenditure benefits.
- That ain’t a typo. Sixty-six percent of tax entitlements go to the people already enjoying the top twenty percent of income.
- That’s on top of those rich folks taking a larger share of other entitlements than go to people actually living on benefits instead of working — the ones Mitt Romney pretended to be so incensed about get less from so-called “entitlement programs” than Romney’s wealthy peers.
- Far cry from Romney’s claim that 47% of Americans were on the dole and happy to stay there sucking money out of the pockets of hard-working (HA) Americans like Mitt.
Let’s not just bat these stats around tumblr. Write letters to the editor (people who read those also tend to vote), bring a copy of the study to your city council meeting (or whatever they call it in your area), make sure your legislators at the state and federal level know about these and ask them to bring the study up on the floor of their chamber. Heck, make copies of the points you consider most salient and hand out flyers on street corners — if you live somewhere that can be done without it getting you arrested. We’ve got a heck of a lot better resources for spreading the word and inflaming outrage at injustices than the pamphleteers of eighteenth-century America, after all…